Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Entreprenuer's What?

Entrepreneurs are truly amazing people. In some cases, they risk all they have to fulfill a dream, or in most cases, satisfy an uncontrollable desire to make their idea in to a reality. These individuals are doctors, lawyers, moms, dads, kids and everything in between. There is some science as to who makes the best entrepreneur and I am certain that, given enough data points, we could figure out which of our children will be entrepreneurs.

To say that I am impressed with entrepreneurism is a vast understatement. I am enamored with truly successful entrepreneurs. I respect those that catch lightning in a bottle and then drift into the sunset, but I am even more impressed with those that risk it all, win big and then risk it all again. These are the entrepreneurial olympians, never satisfied with their current success, but must constantly reach for that next record.

I have had the distinct honor of working for entrepreneurs my entire career. From long standing, "Mom & Pop" shops to technology start-ups, I have truly seen them all. I have always played the role of supporter, whether it be as an operations director, sales enthusiast or chief evangelist when helping an entrepreneur sell his idea.

Some of the companies and entrepreneurs that I worked for were wildly successful and were truly the best bosses that I have ever had, while others were horrible failures with bosses that no one should be subjected to. The one underlying theme in each of these companies and so many other companies is that myself and others were there to support the entrepreneur. In so many ways, we put our reputations, our careers and our social life on the line to support their passion and enthusiasm. We lived in the shadow of entrepreneurism.

I recently started working for yet another Entrepreneur and was looking for some guidance and probably support (there should be some kind of 12-step program for us) for this new opportunity. The lack of writing and guidance is astonishing. I once attempted to join a "#2" group only to find out that the people who ran it were just looking to charge you $1,000 and not have very much support. So, my hope is that, through this blog and the comments that readers post, we can create a true Entrepreneur's Shadow Community. We share the same scars and have learned similar lessons, sharing them could possibly keep us sane and help our entrepreneur counterparts be better than they already are.

No comments:

Post a Comment